[OpenAFS] Re: Restoring a RW volume that had replicas

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:50:53 -0400

On 4/3/2012 3:35 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:27:37 -0400
> Jeff Blaine<jblaine@kickflop.net>  wrote:
>
>> You restore the RW myvol to fs2:c as myvol.R just fine.
>>
>> vos rename myvol.R myvol fails with "Already exists"
>
> Let's say that, for example:
>
> myvol has volume id 12340
> myvol.R has volume id 12349
>
> 'vos rename' just changes the name, not the volume id. So by running
> that 'vos rename' command you're saying you want volume id 12349 to have
> name 'myvol', but 'myvol' already exists with volume id 12340. That's
> the error you're getting.

I was trying to be simple with my explanation, but this detail
is surely too relevant now to leave out: fs1 was brought up
empty post-crash, and vos syncvldb fs1 was run.

There should have been no myvol (or id 12340) in the VLDB when
the 'vos rename' ran, from what I understand.

> If you want to restore under the original volume name and id number,
> 'vos restore' to 'myvol' directly with -name and -id.

Let's say I must restore to myvol.R