[OpenAFS] Fileserver machine freezes for 4 seconds every 12 seconds

Ken Elkabany Ken@Elkabany.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 20:19:18 -0700

--0016e6de00a1c3975904bcd1e494

We're noticing an odd behavior while SSH-ed into the file servers. Every 12
seconds, the fileserver and volserver hit 100% CPU usage, and our SSH
terminals freeze for about 4 seconds. While we often have 200+ clients
actively using our two fileservers, this occurs even when we have only
about 40.

Client version: 1.6.0pre1
Server version: 1.4.14

Server logs are empty.

This was discovered when attempting to track down slow downs in some of the
clients. We are not sure if it is related.

If the fileservers are restarted, the issue goes away for about some time,
but then returns after 30 minutes to an hour. What's the best way to
diagnose this issue? I've been using xstat and afsmonitor, but they aren't
very revealing in this situation.

Ken

--0016e6de00a1c3975904bcd1e494

We're noticing an odd behavior while SSH-ed into the file servers. Ever=
y 12 seconds, the fileserver and volserver hit 100% CPU usage, and our SSH =
terminals freeze for about 4 seconds. While we often have 200+ clients acti=
vely using our two fileservers, this occurs even when we have only about 40=
.<div>

s was discovered when attempting to track down slow downs in some of the cl=
ients. We are not sure if it is related.=A0</div>

or about some time, but then returns after 30 minutes to an hour. What&#39;=
s the best way to diagnose this issue? I&#39;ve been using xstat and afsmon=
itor, but they aren&#39;t very revealing in this situation.</div>

--0016e6de00a1c3975904bcd1e494--