[OpenAFS] Re: ProbeUuid for host failed

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Wed, 04 Apr 2012 01:03:58 -0400

--------------enig214DF03DA6AB50F72A493644

On 4/3/2012 10:04 PM, Ken Elkabany wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net
> <mailto:adeason@sinenomine.net>> wrote:
>=20
>     On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 19:04:19 -0700
>     Ken Elkabany <Ken@Elkabany.com> wrote:
>=20
>     > Over time these errors become more and more frequent. The problem=
 is
>     > that the client who hits this issue will experience a 5-10s delay=
 in
>     > accessing a file, which hurts performance significantly. The clie=
nts
>     > are 1.6pre1, and the server is 1.4.14
>=20
>     1.6.0pre1? Or 1.6.1pre1?
>=20
>=20
> 1.6.0pre1 which was packaged with Ubuntu 11.10. Should we make it a
> priority to upgrade?

1.6.0pre1 is not an official OpenAFS release.  It was a tagged
pre-release.  Anyone that deploys pre-releases should be prepared to
upgrade as each new pre-release and the final release are issued.

> I traced the ProbeUuid failure to the OpenAFS fileservers using the
> incorrect IP for certain clients.

The file servers are not communicating with an incorrect address.  They
are communicating with the ip address that represents the endpoint from
which they received the packets that established the rx connection from
the client.  If your clients are connecting to the external IP address
for the file server and the clients are therefore using their external
IP address, then the file servers need to be able to send traffic back
to that address.