[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.7.8 windows: no error on quota full on copy action

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Thu, 05 Apr 2012 07:15:29 -0400

--------------enigE018B3CBBC712A25AED1A32D

At the moment the AFS Redirector does not implement the Windows Volume
Quota Service interface.  Therefore, Windows has no knowledge of per
user quotas.

The behavior you are seeing is due to the fact that Windows is copying
the entire file into the Windows page cache and it is only being sent to
\\AFS when the file is closed.  At that point the AFS redirector does
report the over quota error but the application ignores it.  In this
respect the Windows client is now more like the UNIX client.

Adding support for the Volume Quota Service interface is a feature that
I would like to see implemented.  However, doing so is non-trivial.  It
requires mapping AFS PTS IDs to Windows SIDs for users that may access
the file system after the quota information was reported to the system.

Jeffrey Altman