[OpenAFS] Re: Ubuntu

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 12:22:09 -0500

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 17:20:03 +0200
Sergio Gelato <Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se> wrote:

> My reading of the Ubuntu wiki is that for serious bugs like the ones
> in 1.6.0pre1 one can apply for a Stable Release Update.

"one can" as in, anyone? Or do we need someone with ubuntu/canonical (or
just a debian developer)?

> What I usually do is take your Debian source packages and backport
> them myself to the Ubuntu releases I wish to support

I may be misreading this... are you saying this as something you do just
at your site, or are you related to the official Ubuntu packages in some
way?

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 10:02:28 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> This is at least partly my fault, at least sort of.

This is quite a stretch. I have a hard time imagining that pulling
things from sid at random points and putting them in a 'stable' ubuntu
release without oversight works well, but... apparently it does often
enough, if they keep doing it.

I know we have people generating PPAs that seem to be paying reasonable
attention to OpenAFS releases. Is it a ton of work to try to get that
packaging or those people involved with the official Ubuntu packages? I
don't know much about how Ubuntu works wrt maintainers and such, but as
far as I can tell this is going to keep happening unless we have someone
close to Ubuntu actively paying attention.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net