[OpenAFS] Re: Kernel NULL pointer dereference

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:30:07 -0500

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:55:08 -0700
Ken Elkabany <Ken@Elkabany.com> wrote:

> We have 2 OpenAFS servers running 1.4.14. We have many clients that we
> just switched over to 1.6.1pre1. Starting earlier today, we started
> getting NULL pointer dereferences, which has been completely hosing
> the clients. The client machines hang on any call that deals with AFS,
> whether it's "ls /", "ls /afs", "klist", etc...

'klist' shouldn't touch AFS...

> A "vos changeaddr" was done earlier today, whereby a large collection
> (4000) of volumes were mistakenly assigned to another server. These
> were corrected with "vos syncvldb" followed by "vos syncserv". I
> mention it here, as it's the only thing we've done to the AFS cluster
> today.

I hope 'vos changeaddr' is not something you run very often. You should
almost never run that command.

I'm also not sure if just running syncvldb/syncserv will entirely fix
that; changeaddr has screwed up server entries pretty bad in the past. I
wouldn't say you're out of the woods until you're still fine after a
fileserver restart.

> Here's what we found in the syslog:
>
> Apr 20 01:30:43 SERVER kernel: [12861236.027818] BUG: unable to handle
> kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000028
> Apr 20 01:30:43 SERVER kernel: [12861236.027836] IP: [<ffffffffa0048087>]
> afs_Conn+0x1e7/0x260 [openafs]

1.6.1pre1 is not a great version to be running, but I can't think of
something that's been fixed since then that would address this. If
someone else has some idea, feel free to say otherwise.

That offset suggests dereferencing sa_flags for a NULL srvAddr. The only
place I think that can happen is:

    /* First is always lowest rank, if it's up */
    if ((tv->status[0] == not_busy) && tv->serverHost[0]
        && !(tv->serverHost[0]->addr->sa_flags & SRVR_ISDOWN) &&
        !(((areq->idleError > 0) || (areq->tokenError > 0))
          && (areq->skipserver[0] == 1)))

so it suggests that we have a vol struct with a server that has 0
srvAddrs attached. I think maybe this is possible if we had another
server struct 'steal' the srvAddr away, so we removed the srvAddr and
we're left with none.

One guess at what happened:

 - something tries to look up a volume A, and knows that it's on a
   server with IP address X
 - 'vos changeaddr' created a new non-mh server entry for IP X
 - we look up some other volume B, see it's on IP X, but we make a new
   server struct for the non-mh server, and steal X away from the other
   mh server struct
 - we need to look up volume A again, and serverHost[0] is pointing to a
   server that used to have the srvAddr for IP X, but since it was
   reassigned, the first srvAddr is now NULL.

I'm not exactly sure what we'd want to happen in that situation. The
quick fix is to just check for the NULL srvAddr, but I'm not immediately
sure if that would cause us to keep trying to use a volume struct with
no reachable servers until the vol entry expires.

I (or someone) would need to experiment a bit to verify that. However,
if something like the above is the case, this should never happen unless
you make server identity/numbering mistakes like that. If someone else
wants to look, I would guess this is reproducible by accessing a vol,
changing the server uuid, accessing a different vol on the same server
and then accessing the first vol again. Or something like that.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net