[OpenAFS] Re: Move of large volume fails: Rx call failed during dump

Christopher Odenbach odenbach@uni-paderborn.de
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:05:56 +0200

Hi,

> Where did you salvage it?

On the source fileserver. It did find some issues but did not fix the
move problem.

> That log indicates that the volume at least partially exists at the
> destination site. A salvage of volume 537020184 on the destination
> fileserver/partition should clear it up if there is some cruft just
> lying around there.

Just tried:

root@jena[openafs]# more SalvageLog
@(#) OpenAFS 1.4.12.1 built  2011-02-09
04/25/2012 16:50:39 STARTING AFS SALVAGER 2.4 (/usr/lib/openafs/salvager
/vicepa 537020184)
04/25/2012 16:50:39 1 nVolumesInInodeFile 32
04/25/2012 16:50:39 Recreating link table for volume 537020184.
04/25/2012 16:50:39 totalInodes 1

> Or you can try a 'vos zap' or 'vos zap -f' of that volume id at the
> destination. If a salvage at the destination doesn't clear it up,
> what does the salvage log say?

root@jena[openafs]# vos zap jena a 537020184 -loca
Warning: Entry for volume number 537020184 exists in VLDB (but we're
zapping it anyway!)
Could not start transaction on volume 537020184
Volume not attached, does not exist, or not on line
Error in vos zap command.
Volume not attached, does not exist, or not on line

root@jena[openafs]# vos zap jena a 537020184 -loca -f
vos: forcibly removing all traces of volume 537020184, please
wait...failed with code 2.

> If you want to check before trying that long move again, the
> destination should have no files in the directory tree
> /vicepX/AFSIDat/M/MQY+U, assuming you don't have any RO or BK
> volumes, etc for that volume. (Be sure not to touch anything in
> there.)

There is a read-only and a backup volume, but both on the source
fileserver, so there should be nothing.

Content before the salvage:

root@jena[openafs]# cd /vicepa/AFSIDat/M/MQY+U/
root@jena[MQY+U]# l
total 0
drwx------ 3 root root 14 Apr 24 21:03 .
drwx------ 3 root root 18 Apr 19 20:00 ..
drwx------ 3 root root 14 Apr 24 21:03 =

And after:

root@jena[MQY+U]# l
total 0
drwx------ 4 root root 28 Apr 25 16:50 .
drwx------ 3 root root 18 Apr 19 20:00 ..
drwx------ 3 root root 14 Apr 24 21:03 =
drwx------ 2 root root 24 Apr 25 16:50 special

I will try again tonight (using 'at').

Thanks,

Christopher

- --
    Dipl.-Ing. Christopher Odenbach
    Zentrum fuer Informations- und Medientechnologien
    Universitaet Paderborn
    Raum N5.122
    odenbach@uni-paderborn.de
    Tel.: +49 5251 60 5315