[OpenAFS] Home directory unavalable at certain times.

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:59:01 +0200

On 2012-04-19 14:05, Fredrik Engstr=F6m wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> When users log in at 11 they get access denied when they try to
> open the home directory. If you log in twenty minutes later you
> will not have this issue and if you log in before eleven you will
> also not notice anything.

> The logs mention that a certain volume is unavailable prior to this
> issue:

> ?Server 77.238.35.9 reported volume 536870955 in cell su.se as
> offline?

If it is ALWAYS at 11, check the servers for restarts in BOS scripts,
for bos salvage, vos dump or any other scripts which could set RW
volumes offline for a short time.

> We have seen this only on the computers where our students access
> them, but that?s not too surprising considering they log in and
> out extensively during the day and as such have a higher
> probability to be subject to the error. I?ve seen other clients
> where this happens at a different time, but it is also only once a
> day and also always preceded by the volume in cell su.se as
> offline. The machines run Windows 7 SP1 and have OpenAFS 1.7.400
> installed. On the serverside we have 1.4. This error was discovered
> roughly two weeks ago, but we can?t find anything we tampered with
> that relates to this at that time.

1.7.4 is old and really buggy if you use windows profiles in OpenAFS
space. Please do use 1.7.11. It REALLY does  help a lot for our Win 7
users.

> Any ideas?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Mvh
>=20
> Fredrik Engstr=F6m
>=20
> Avdelningen f=F6r IT och media

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
- --=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723