[OpenAFS] Re: 5 seconds to vos release empty volume

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:53:38 -0500

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:31:28 -0700
Ken Elkabany <Ken@Elkabany.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We've noticed that when doing a vos release on a volume with two
> read-only sites (one cheap one on the same server/partition as the RW,
> and one on a separate server), the release consistently takes 5
> seconds.

vos sleeps for 5 seconds if you have more than one repsite:

            /* Sleep so that a client searching for an online volume won't
             * find the clone offline and then the next RO offline while the
             * release brings the clone online and the next RO offline (race).
             * There is a fix in the 3.4 client that does not need this sleep
             * anymore, but we don't know what clients we have.
             */
            if (entry.nServers > 2)
                sleep(5);

There could/should be an option to vos or something to get rid of this
if you don't care about older clients.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net