[OpenAFS] Re: Home directory unavalable at certain times.

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:26:36 -0500

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:44:25 -0400
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> Indeed it does.   src/WINNT/afsd/cm_conn.c   cm_Analyze()

Okay, but it doesn't go through the whole list again, if I understand
you correctly. So if we have two sites, A, and B, a client can think
only A has new data. It contacts A, gets VOFFLINE because someone is
releasing. It checks the VLDB, and sees that B is now a valid site. It
contacts B, and gets VOFFLINE because now B is getting updated. The
Windows client then returns an application error without trying further,
correct?

> However, if the volume location list does not change, the Windows
> client will not reset the offline state of a down server.  This is to
> prevent slamming a file server with requests while the volume is
> offline.

Okay, but Unix clients don't fail in this situation, and as far as I
know they they've had that behavior since forever (I would guess around
3.4 if I'm to believe code comments). The risk of 'slamming' a
fileserver would seem low, because volumes do not stay in this state for
very long, and we rate-limit ourselves from checking too often. That
approach works, as far as I am aware.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net