[OpenAFS] AFS cell without AFSDB?

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Wed, 15 Aug 2012 21:35:09 +0200

On 15.08.2012 20:39, Ben Howell wrote:
> I'm experimenting with a cluster in a new cell as part of a company-wid=
> upgrade of our current AFS infrastructure. However, our DNS no longer
> supports custom non-TXT entries like AFSDB. Is there an alternative to
> AFSDB? I have SRV records in place, _afs3-vlserver and _afs3-prserver.
> Is there an SRV record for DB servers as well? Changing nameservers is
> not an option, unfortunately.
>=20
> Kerberos functions without issue. However, aklog seems to take a minute
> or longer. I also can't seem to create volumes on the same server I'm
> working on, but can create volumes on any other server in the cluster.
> Are these side-effects of not having an AFSDB record in DNS, or
> otherwise another missing entry somewhere?
>=20
> /etc/openafs/server/CellServDB on all hosts contains the one record for
> the DB server. Should I add records for the others?

On our cell there is NO entry in DNS, all is in the krb5.conf (for krb5)
and in the CellServDB (for OpenAFS DB Server).
It works fine for >7 years now.

And you should add all DB Servers to your CellServDB - maybe add it to
the official CellServDB list on openafs.org - to be included in every
new package of OpenAFS and you do not need to change the config of the
clients anymore.

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723