[OpenAFS] pam_afs_session and winbind

Ben Howell howellbp@gmail.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2012 19:12:44 -0500

--------------030806040805030307080107

That's part of the default krb5.conf, specifying kdc = hostname, as well
as master_kdc, etc. for ever host that serves as KDC. I do have SRV
records in place, and I know that from our old implementation that SRV
lookups DO work the way they're supposed to, but I'm not paid enough to
argue with execs. :P

I suppose I could just implement it in the way that actually works and
hope no one notices.

  - Ben

On 8/30/12 7:06 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Ben Howell <howellbp@gmail.com
> <mailto:howellbp@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     While this is true, people who get paid a lot more than I do
>     decided we shouldn't be pointing authentication to individual
>     machines and instead use domain lookups, which winbind does
>     nicely. I was able to replicate the old functionality by pointing
>     the pam stack directly to dc01.domain.com
>     <http://dc01.domain.com>, but that defeats the purpose of having a
>     decentralized authentication system.
>

> Any Kerberos implementation worth its salt should be able to use SRV
> lookups, which Active Directory supports, to autodiscover the KDCs.
>  Moreover, even when explicit specification is necessary, you do not
> normally specify them in the PAM stack but in /etc/krb5.conf.
>
> Where (which module) and why are you having to specify KDC machines
> within/as part of the PAM stack?
>
> --
> brandon s allbery allbery.b@gmail.com <mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com>
> wandering unix systems administrator (available)     (412) 475-9364 vm/sms

--------------030806040805030307080107

  <head>
  </head>
    That's part of the default krb5.conf, specifying kdc = hostname, as
    well as master_kdc, etc. for ever host that serves as KDC. I do have
    SRV records in place, and I know that from our old implementation
    that SRV lookups DO work the way they're supposed to, but I'm not
    paid enough to argue with execs. :P<br>
    I suppose I could just implement it in the way that actually works
    and hope no one notices.<br>
     - Ben<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAKFCL4XDqXWonfZmu_XUY1HnzsEw2pzMU=8v73OenCQ4aq_H=w@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
            href="mailto:howellbp@gmail.com" target="_blank">howellbp@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
        wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            While this is true, people who get paid a lot more than I do
            decided we shouldn't be pointing authentication to
            individual machines and instead use domain lookups, which
            winbind does nicely. I was able to replicate the old
            functionality by pointing the pam stack directly to <a
              moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://dc01.domain.com"
              target="_blank">dc01.domain.com</a>, but that defeats the
            purpose of having a decentralized authentication system. </blockquote>
            to use SRV lookups, which Active Directory supports, to
            autodiscover the KDCs.  Moreover, even when explicit
            specification is necessary, you do not normally specify them
            in the PAM stack but in /etc/krb5.conf.</div>
            KDC machines within/as part of the PAM stack?</div>
        -- <br>
        brandon s allbery                                      <a
          moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com"
          target="_blank">allbery.b@gmail.com</a><br>
        wandering unix systems administrator (available)     (412)
        475-9364 vm/sms<br>

--------------030806040805030307080107--