[OpenAFS] Re: [AFS3-std] Re: IBM will not re-license OpenAFS .xg files

Ted Creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 06:59:59 -0700

--bcaec51b98cd2c814f04c89035c0

For what its worth, while at Mentor Graphics, I retained Scott Myers and an
intern to write C++ header files for the IBIS specification.

IBIS specifies how to model complex electronic circuits and interconnect
(i.e. as in Intel  motherboards).

Equivalent complexity.  I built a special room with 36 ft of whiteboard,
Scott would layout the design and the intern would spend a week coding.

So that is my level of effort estimate, once the spec is written, which
took an industry committee of experts a wear to agree on.

Interestingly, the header files spotted several ambiguities in the spec
which is left unresolved guaranteed that multiple vendor IBIS
implementations would be incompatible.

Ted

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Maintaining OpenAFS involves, among other things:
> >
> > * Kernel code as well as userspace code for various UNIXes.
> > * Mac OS X development (with quite a bit of OS internals involvement).
> > * Windows kernel file system development.
> > * High-performance threaded code with a complex lock model.
> > * A custom network protocol with substantial complexity.
> > * Cryptographic network security models.
> >
> > Some of those things (such as the Windows kernel file system work) no
> > other project, open source *or* commercial, does at the level that
> OpenAFS
> > does.  This is a level of complexity *far* beyond the typical open source
> > project.  The only open source projects I can think of with equivalent
> > complexity are primarily maintained by full-time, professional developers
> > whose job is to work on that software, and whose salaries are paid by
> > companies like Red Hat, Novell, IBM, Google, or Oracle.
>
> Indeed, it has come back to me through 3rd party channels that Apple
> has told developers
> "OpenAFS is doing it, so clearly it can be done ..." as outsiders.
>
> [...]
>
> > * A coherent mobile story for how mobile devices and applications are
> >   going to access data in AFS, including how they can authenticate
> without
> >   using user passwords (which are increasingly a bad authentication story
> >   anywhere but are particularly horrible on mobile devices).
>
> Apple has made this somewhat harder by removing developer access to the
> hardware
> device identifier.
>
> Largely I find myself in agreement with the rest of this.
>

> --
> Derrick

--bcaec51b98cd2c814f04c89035c0

For what its worth, while at Mentor Graphics, I retained Scott Myers and an=
 intern to write C++ header files for the IBIS specification. <br><br>IBIS =
specifies how to model complex electronic circuits and interconnect (i.e. a=
s in Intel=A0 motherboards).<br>
rd, Scott would layout the design and the intern would spend a week coding.=
hich took an industry committee of experts a wear to agree on.<br>
 which is left unresolved guaranteed that multiple vendor IBIS implementati=
Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Derrick Brashear <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:shadow@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">shadow@gmail.com</a>&gt;</s=
pan> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">&gt; Maintaining OpenAFS i=
nvolves, among other things:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; * Kernel code as well as userspace code for various UNIXes.<br>
&gt; * Mac OS X development (with quite a bit of OS internals involvement).=
&gt; * Windows kernel file system development.<br>
&gt; * High-performance threaded code with a complex lock model.<br>
&gt; * A custom network protocol with substantial complexity.<br>
&gt; * Cryptographic network security models.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Some of those things (such as the Windows kernel file system work) no<=
br>
&gt; other project, open source *or* commercial, does at the level that Ope=
nAFS<br>
&gt; does. =A0This is a level of complexity *far* beyond the typical open s=
ource<br>
&gt; project. =A0The only open source projects I can think of with equivale=
nt<br>
&gt; complexity are primarily maintained by full-time, professional develop=
ers<br>
&gt; whose job is to work on that software, and whose salaries are paid by<=
br>
&gt; companies like Red Hat, Novell, IBM, Google, or Oracle.<br>
br>
has told developers<br>
&quot;OpenAFS is doing it, so clearly it can be done ...&quot; as outsiders=
.<br>
[...]<br>
&gt; * A coherent mobile story for how mobile devices and applications are<=
br>
&gt; =A0 going to access data in AFS, including how they can authenticate w=
ithout<br>
&gt; =A0 using user passwords (which are increasingly a bad authentication =
story<br>
&gt; =A0 anywhere but are particularly horrible on mobile devices).<br>
he hardware<br>
device identifier.<br>
Largely I find myself in agreement with the rest of this.<br>
--<br>
Derrick<br>