[OpenAFS] Graphical file managers get stuck

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:34:44 -0800

Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com> writes:

> This is what SRV records are for, yes.  Ideally, the CellServDB on
> clients is for legacy use with old cells that don't have SRV records in
> place (and to some extent is probably part of "don't make IBM unhappy").
> The server CellServDB is a different issue, I think, but only relevant
> to database servers which need to know about each other.

Client CellServDB will always be useful in situations where you don't want
AFS to be unavailable when the DNS servers are broken.  An example would
be if you use AFS to distribute DNS zone files....