[OpenAFS] Windows AFS client users - Does your anti-virus product work?

Jeffrey Altman Jeffrey Altman [Your File System]" <jaltman@your-file-system.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 01:21:31 -0500

--------------enig1FDC673379D6A054EE2EB5F6

It has been brought to my attention that at least one major anti-virus
vendor's product simply does not scan the contents of \\AFS when used in
conjunction with the AFS redirector.  I have notified the vendor and I
am awaiting a response before I make their name and product version
public.  However, it is important that you be able to test whether or
not your anti-virus product successfully scans content read from and
written to \\AFS.

The EICAR web site makes available an anti-malware test file which can
be used to test whether or not the scanner is working.  This test file
is not an actual virus.  It is simply a pattern which most anti-malware
vendors treat as a virus for testing purposes.

  http://www.eicar.org/86-0-Intended-use.html

You can download the test file in a variety of forms from:

  http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

You should test both that your anti-malware scanner can detect a the
file when it is present in AFS as well as when you attempt to save it to
AFS.

Please do not post your findings to this mailing list.  If you find that
your product does work correctly, please send private e-mail to that
effect.  If your product does not detect the EICAR test file either when
reading from \\AFS or writing to \\AFS, please file a support request
with your vendor and send me a private e-mail so that I can work with
your anti-malware vendor to correct the deficiency in their product.

Thank you.

Jeffrey Altman