[OpenAFS] Supergroups enabled by default in openafs 1.6.1 rpm packages?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:46:30 -0800

Michael Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net> writes:
> Staffan H=C3=A4m=C3=A4l=C3=A4 <sh@ltu.se> wrote:
>> On 2012-12-14 19:02, Russ Allbery wrote:

>>> don't think the code quality is high enough in stable to be comfortable
>>> with it, but once it's been enabled, turning it off again is a bad idea.

>> Ok. So, what if you used to have supergroups enabled, then upgraded to=20
>> 1.6 without supergroups. Does this mean all supergroups information is=20
>> just ignored, or will the supergroup content be corrupt?

>> If so, how do you fix the corrupt entries, after enabling supergroups ag=
ain?

> If you upgraded to a binary which was build with supergroups enabled,
> and you never create a supergroups with pts, then the database can still
> be used with the old, non-supergroup binaries. However, if you do create
> a supergroup, going back would take some conversion.

That's not what he's asking.

He has an existing cell with supergroups enabled and a bunch of
supergroups in use.  He accidentally upgraded to a ptserver without
supergroup support.  He's since replaced that with one that does have
supergroup support, but he's wondering if the ptserver without supergroup
support could have corrupted the supergroup portions of his database while
it was running.

I wasn't sure -- I'd heard in the past that people were worried about what
the ptserver might do to the database, but I don't know that specifics
were ever discussed.

--=20