[OpenAFS] cd: user: Connection timed out

Dvorkin, Asya dvorkias@umdnj.edu
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 17:40:21 -0500

Hi everyone,

Our AFS server crashed earlier today and was totally unaccessible.  As this=
 is a production server and we didn't have a lot of time to troubleshoot (a=
nd according to google it was a major OS failure), we decided to restore it=
 using mondo.  Pretty much, we had an ISO image that could be used to fully=
 restore the system.

While restoring the system.. without thinking we picked for it to partition=
/format the drives (including SAN with all AFS data connected to it).  Afte=
r about 2 minutes we realized it and disconnected the fiber cable=85  Our g=
uess that some partitions did get corrupted.

Now, we have the server back and it seems like I can access most AFS direct=
ories except user.

root@psrwjmsafs1 ]# cd user
-bash: cd: user: Connection timed out

This is from log files:

VolserLog:Tue Feb  7 17:25:01 2012 VAttachVolume: Failed to open /vicepc/V0=
536871274.vol (errno 2)
VolserLog:Tue Feb  7 17:27:47 2012 VAttachVolume: Failed to open /vicepc/V0=
536871274.vol (errno 2)

It seems like it's offline:

Total number of volumes on server psrwjmsafs1 partition /vicepc: 0=20

Total volumes onLine 0 ; Total volumes offLine 0 ; Total busy 0

So I tried the following command:

[root@psrwjmsafs1]# vos online -server psrwjmsafs1 -partition /vicepc -id u=
ser.dvorkias
SetVolumeStatus: TransCreate Failed
Failed to set volume. Code =3D 103

vos listvl gives correct information.

We do have backups of all user directories, so I guess I'd like to understa=
nd what are my options and how to get it up and running.

Thank you!
Asya