[OpenAFS] "These servers unavailable due to network or server problems"

Logan O'Sullivan Bruns logan@gedanken.org
Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:44:39 -0800

I saw a similar behavior a few days ago. One client complained that
the server was down but from every other machine the server looked
fine. In my case it appears to be related to a resource leak in the
1.6.1pre2 client and restarting with a clean cache fixed it.

I'd be curious to see if you are running into the same issue. If so I
think you might see your cache growing excessively. If easy you might
try:

sudo du -s -k /var/db/openafs/cache
fs getcacheparms

In my case it seems to either behave like you saw or fill up the cache
entirely and panic. (Mine is using a dedicated ufs partition though.)
Here, for example, even after increasing my cache partition to double
its original size it still eventually fills up.

$ df -k /usr/vice/cache
/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/afscache
                       4130285   4085457      3526 100% /usr/vice/cache
$ fs getcacheparms
AFS using 1357687 of the cache's available 1800000 1K byte blocks.

  - logan