[OpenAFS] Re: Feature wish: remove partition while fileserver keeps on running

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:10:07 -0600

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:00:31 +0100
Lars Schimmer <l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at> wrote:

> (IMHO DAFS is only for volumes, not partitions, or?)

Yes, but as Andy mentions, a restart with DAFS shouldn't be very
noticeable (whether that is actually true depends on the environment and
a lot of different factors, but in practice it seems to usually be the
case). If you can do the work with the partition quickly, you should be
able to 'bos shutdown -wait ; umount ; mount ; bos restart' without it
really being noticed.

It also _might_ be possible to offline all of the volumes on a partition
without needing to move them, and fiddling with the partition. I'm not
sure off-hand if we keep any lingering filehandles open in that case,
but it might work. Of course, doing anything like that is unsupported,
might break everything, etc etc.

What I think would be an even more useful feature is the ability to
detach and reattach a partition on another server (via SAN storage or
whatever), since there aren't very good workarounds for that. If we
could do that, we could also just detach a partition and reattach it to
the same server again.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net