[OpenAFS] Windows reporting "out of space"

Richard Brittain Richard.Brittain@dartmouth.edu
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:44:20 -0400 (EDT)

We have finally completed upgrading all our fileservers (all > 2TB
partitions) to 1.6.1, dafs, with the mentioned patch.  This seems to
mostly solve the 'Out of space' problem, but we can still generate it
sometimes (Windows 7 only, 1.7.11+ clients).  Identifying what combination
of circumstances actually causes the problem has been like nailing jello
to a wall.  I'll try to submit a bug report with what we think is going
on.

All the file servers now return the expected numbers - real or capped at
2^31 kB - to 'fs listvol', but sometimes the volume quota and usage
numbers shown in the Explorer add-on menus are wrong.  The numbers aren't
necessarily wrong when Explorer says 'Out of space' though.  We've also
caused Explorer to abort more than once while investigating this.

If I map a network drive rather than navigating the UNC path, explorer
will write to the location that complains by UNC path.

The file server upgrade was worth it anyway - 1.6.1 seems to impose a
lighter load on the server OS, even when hit hard with big volume moves.

  Richard Brittain

--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                    Computing Services, 37 Dewey Field Road, HB6219