[OpenAFS] Windows reporting "out of space"

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:17:02 -0400

--------------enigCE3FA1462B7071F40A577112

On 6/13/2012 4:44 PM, Richard Brittain wrote:
> We have finally completed upgrading all our fileservers (all > 2TB
> partitions) to 1.6.1, dafs, with the mentioned patch.  This seems to
> mostly solve the 'Out of space' problem, but we can still generate it
> sometimes (Windows 7 only, 1.7.11+ clients).  Identifying what
> combination of circumstances actually causes the problem has been like
> nailing jello to a wall.  I'll try to submit a bug report with what we
> think is going on.
>=20
> All the file servers now return the expected numbers - real or capped a=
> 2^31 kB - to 'fs listvol', but sometimes the volume quota and usage
> numbers shown in the Explorer add-on menus are wrong.  The numbers
> aren't necessarily wrong when Explorer says 'Out of space' though.=20
> We've also caused Explorer to abort more than once while investigating
> this.
>=20
> If I map a network drive rather than navigating the UNC path, explorer
> will write to the location that complains by UNC path.

When you find a case that fails via a drive letter, use SysInternal's
Process Monitor to examine which path the QueryVolumeInformation
(FsFullSizeInfo) query is being issued against.   My guess is that you
are going to find that the query is being issued against a volume that
is not the volume the application is trying to write to.

Jeffrey Altman