[OpenAFS] Re: sysname for 3.x linux kernel

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:20:48 -0600

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 14:08:43 -0800
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> I suppose I could do that in Debian.  I'd feel more comfortable doing
> it if any Debian user had ever indicated a desire for an @sys that
> identified the Debian stable version (which would be the obvious thing
> to put in there).
>
> If I do that for Debian, though, Ubuntu is going to be a mess.

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to push for everyone doing this right
now... I just meant, if people wanted finer granularity, that might be
what I advocate for. I don't think I've ever seriously wanted this; I
don't think it makes sense to try and reason about a solution for it
unless there's a specific motivator, since we don't know if a solution
is "good enough".

In my personal experience in the past, all I've ever used @sys for on
linux platforms is dividing between "linux and everything else" or
(rarely) "linux and ancient linux".

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net