[OpenAFS] Re: sysname for 3.x linux kernel

Dan Scott danieljamesscott@gmail.com
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 17:33:03 -0500

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 17:00, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 14:42:48 -0700
> Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com> wrote:
>
>> Would it be feasible to make this change effective in a major version
>> release, say, OpenAFS 2.0? Speaking as a user of OpenAFS, the list of
>> things that must be manually configured has such a high learning curve
>> to newbies that choosing a useful, modern default would be great.
>
> Well, two things:
>
> You as an end user don't need to tweak this; $arch_linux26 works. I'm
> not sure at this point what problem you're trying to solve...?

The problem (for me) is that I have to create new directories/symlinks
every time the distro has a new minor kernel version upgrade. But, as
has already been pointed out, it seems that this is an addition by
RPMFusion.

I'd probably vote for having an amd64_linux default, but having the
3.x kernels use amd64_linux26 (or amd64_linux26) would be fine too.