[OpenAFS] sysname for 3.x linux kernel

Dave Botsch botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:11:29 -0500

My first reply to this seems to have not gone listwards (at least, it
never came back to me).

So, answer:

for RHEL6_64bit: amd64_rhel6
for RHEL6_32bit: i386_rhel6

for RHEL4 we use the default names.

To respond to other comments here, my preference is to split it up on
distro and bitness. The reason for distro is that two distros, even w.
the same kernel and glibc version, will differ significantly in many
ways (assuming the glibc version is even the same). So, the current
default is definitely not sufficient. Kernel version is probably not
sufficient (and some distros roll to new kernels). Glibc might not even
be sufficient. TOo many other differences.

We use sysname to link to "sysname-specific" software stored in AFS.
There's no real reason we have to use sysname versus just setting our
own link, unless one is referencing the @sys path in a script which is
slightly different for multiple distro/os versions.

That said, being able to, from stock, configure the sysname in
/etc/sysconfig/openafs-client would be a good thing (versus the hack we
are currently using).

--
David William Botsch