[OpenAFS] Installation of OpenAFS on Ubuntu 11.10

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:28:30 +0200

On 27.03.2012 18:57, Xianwei Zhang wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I am doing a project to optimize the backup of OpenAFS. Now I am
> installing the server on my ubuntu 11.10. I got stuck on creating root.=
afs
> volume.

> I install from the source code of version 1.7.1 on ubuntu 11.10 and
> attached is the step-by-step record of my install operations. Could you
> plz have a read of that to verify that the operations are complete and
> correct. I have been puzzled by this for a whole week.

Why compile from source?
Why 1.7.1?
Why ka server?
Why install all by hand?

There are quite perfect packages of 1.6.1pre4 in debian available which
will work in ubuntu, to.
1.7.1 is just 1.6.x which includes the windows native drive, not
suitable for linux. Stick with 1.6.1pre4 for a best server set.

Do use krb5 server and not kaserver (which is krb4 and no more used with
OpenAFS 1.6.0 and higher). But if you just setup another server, your
krb5 setup is already setup.

For a short, useable installation of a OpenAFS fileserver and a new
cell, we just made a (german) HowTo setup a OpenAFS cell and a workshop
in chemnitz. That PDF is here:
http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2012/vortraege/folien/1018_OpenAFS.pdf
With that howto (made step by step on debian) you have a running cell.
If you want to train, the image of the debian system on which that PDF
is applied is linked under:
http://tetris.cgv.tugraz.at/clt2012/CLT12.de.tar.bz2

But maybe I did miss a important point of your side?

> Thank you in advance.
>=20
> Regards,

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723