[OpenAFS] Re: the future

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 23:29:42 -0500

I'd say the summary is something like this:

1) YFS (your-file-system) is forking (or re-implementing) OpenAFS to be
able to have a commercially viable business & product that will have the
financial return-on-investment needed to justify the cost of implementing
a long list of things, starting with rxgk.

2) No other credible plans have been proposed that can provide a working
rxgk implementation, and the only implementation that at one point actually
worked was rxk5, but it had 'flag day' issues for upgrades.

Some of us don't really care about the flag day issue, but then that's
effectively forking OpenAFS into incompatible versions. It's also not clear
why YFS should support the OpenAFS community if the OpenAFS community is not
providing anything to YFS in return.

Is this a halfway accurate short summary, or I am completely missing something?