[OpenAFS] the future

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Mon, 01 Oct 2012 07:55:36 +0200

On 2012-10-01 06:48, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:38:10PM +0200, Lars Schimmer wrote:
>> On 30.09.2012 21:10, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>>=20
>>> One-time deals (on linux) that require interaction will blow up
>>> all kinds of automated tools and leave the rank and file admins
>>> your enemy.
>>=20
>> Easy, user do call admins angry and stupid. And Admins change
>> OpenAFS to NFS/SMB/or anything else, which is free and easy to
>> deploy. Nearly everything is free, functional and already
>> included. Why hassle with more work, incompatible licenses and
>> all the user support?
>=20
> Having migrated from NFSv3 to AFS (and then OpenAFS), I'd have to
> say that NFS may be free, but it doesn't really fall into the
> 'functional' category. But this was several years ago, so there
> might have been some magic that happened with NFS I haven't seen
> yet.
>=20
> Can anyone who has experience migrating to/from OpenAFS from/to
> anything else in the last 2-3 years please comment? If there's
> really something free, functional, and already included then I'd
> like to know what the heck it is.

Just buy a NetApp storage, everything for windows roaming is included
and simple and easy.
No need to hassle with extra fileservers, extra admin work, extra
bugs, extra "loose of function" like alternate datastreams,...
Life can be easy.
On the other side, why pay for OpenAFS in kind of licenses, support,
admin hour,... if you already got everything you need in the storage
device?
And why pay if it is open source? Life isn=B4t as easy as this at all...

(and yeah, IF you go big and have a datacenter, you already HAVE these
storages, everything else would be a horrible nightmare. But small
groups like ours here with 10 people usual do not have/need OpenAFS,
so that discussion is nonesense at all. If you are a small group, you
have something easy and simple like NFS or SMB which cost no extra
support, if you are big, you have the storage with everything
included. Where goes OpenAFS?)

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
- --=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723