[OpenAFS] the future

Booker Bense bbense@gmail.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 12:05:44 -0700

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR)
> <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>> we are running lustre alongside afs right now.  lustre is generally
>> much much faster than afs.

Lustre is a replacement for AFS in the same way that a formula 1 race
car is a replacement for your family mini-van.

There are many similar solutions out there ( GlusterFS, etc... ) that
address parts of the problem, but
none that I see make any effort at security better than NFS v3. They
all pretty much allow the machine
to assert any userid it wants.

If the problem you have is

"Share a user's home directory on a machine that you don't entirely
trust root on"

the only solution I know of is AFS or NFS V4. And if the problem is

"Access a filesystem securely[1] from just about anywhere on almost any OS"

then OpenAFS is the only solution I know about.

- Booker C. Bense

[1]- For the sake of argument, we will assume AFS encryption is "good enough".