[OpenAFS] the future

Hoskins, Matthew E. matthew.hoskins@njit.edu
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 21:33:33 -0400

--f46d042dfd67a42d7e04cb09827d

Are the pricing plans and coverage documented somewhere we can show the
 people who write checks?

 http://www.your-file-system.com doesnt seem to have a lot of info

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com
> wrote:

> On 9/30/2012 4:33 PM, Aaron Knister wrote:
> > Regarding support, some type of subscription based model could go a long
> way. One if the reasons (other than frankly ignorance) that OpenAFS was
> frowned upon at UMBC was our lack of commercial support. I know there are
> entities that provide support but they seemed to require more effort than
> clicking a button, selecting my subscription type (X number of FileServers,
> Y number of "supported" clients, Z number of vldb servers, etc), and typing
> in a credit card number
>
> I have always received a significant amount of pushback for any pricing
> model that is based upon # of servers and especially # of clients.  That
> is why the YFSI pricing model is based upon number a number of support
> incidents.  It doesn't matter how many platforms you deploy or how many
> servers or number of clients, support is driven by how much support the
> organization requires and whether support is U.S. business hours monday
> to friday or 24/7/365.
>
> Support packages start at US$4995 per year.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

--f46d042dfd67a42d7e04cb09827d

 href=3D"http://www.your-file-system.com/">http://www.your-file-system.com<=
/a>=A0doesnt seem to have a lot of info</div>
M, Jeffrey Altman <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@your-file=
-system.com" target=3D"_blank">jaltman@your-file-system.com</a>&gt;</span> =
wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On 9/30/2012 4:33 PM, Aaron Knister wrote:<b=
r>
&gt; Regarding support, some type of subscription based model could go a lo=
ng way. One if the reasons (other than frankly ignorance) that OpenAFS was =
frowned upon at UMBC was our lack of commercial support. I know there are e=
ntities that provide support but they seemed to require more effort than cl=
icking a button, selecting my subscription type (X number of FileServers, Y=
 number of &quot;supported&quot; clients, Z number of vldb servers, etc), a=
nd typing in a credit card number<br>

I have always received a significant amount of pushback for any pricing<br>
model that is based upon # of servers and especially # of clients. =A0That<=
br>
is why the YFSI pricing model is based upon number a number of support<br>
incidents. =A0It doesn&#39;t matter how many platforms you deploy or how ma=
ny<br>
servers or number of clients, support is driven by how much support the<br>
organization requires and whether support is U.S. business hours monday<br>
to friday or 24/7/365.<br>
Support packages start at US$4995 per year.<br>
Jeffrey Altman<br>

--f46d042dfd67a42d7e04cb09827d--