[OpenAFS] the future

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 22:39:19 -0400

--f46d042fd918d970fb04cb0a6d3f

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Jeffrey Altman <
jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:

> > Can anyone who has experience migrating to/from OpenAFS from/to anything
> > else in the last 2-3 years please comment? If there's really something
> > free, functional, and already included then I'd like to know what the
> > heck it is.
>
> I will remind the community of OpenEFS <http://www.openefs.org/> which
> was developed specifically to permit a large financial institution to
> use NFSv3 for global software distribution via a firm-wide name space.
> While it is true that AFS3 provides a large amount of administrator
> functionality in the box that is not present in competing products, that
> doesn't prevent organizations from spending money to replicate that
> functionality at a higher layer.

Some further notes on OpenEFS: the original version was written to sit on
top of AFS.  A rewrite at a different financial institution was done on top
of NFS, and that product became OpenEFS.  Some preliminary work by the
original author (ie, not me) has been done to make OpenEFS run on top of
OpenAFS, but that is incomplete at this time (cf the openafs branch of
efs-core).  If people are interested in seeing OpenEFS support OpenAFS,
they should contact the OpenEFS developers (disclaimer: I'm one of the
OpenEFS developers, but right now, the NFS-based version is the priority,
at least for my employer).

Thanks,
Steven

--f46d042fd918d970fb04cb0a6d3f

man <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@your-file-system.com" t=
>... <br>
eft:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
&gt; Can anyone who has experience migrating to/from OpenAFS from/to anythi=
ng<br>
&gt; else in the last 2-3 years please comment? If there&#39;s really somet=
hing<br>
&gt; free, functional, and already included then I&#39;d like to know what =
the<br>
&gt; heck it is.<br>
I will remind the community of OpenEFS &lt;<a href=3D"http://www.openefs.or=
g/" target=3D"_blank">http://www.openefs.org/</a>&gt; which<br>
was developed specifically to permit a large financial institution to<br>
use NFSv3 for global software distribution via a firm-wide name space.<br>
While it is true that AFS3 provides a large amount of administrator<br>
functionality in the box that is not present in competing products, that<br=

doesn&#39;t prevent organizations from spending money to replicate that<br>
functionality at a higher layer.<br>
te><div><br>Some further notes on OpenEFS: the original version was written=
 to sit on top of AFS.=A0 A rewrite at a different financial institution wa=
s done on top of NFS, and that product became OpenEFS.=A0 Some preliminary =
work by the original author (ie, not me) has been done to make OpenEFS run =
on top of OpenAFS, but that is incomplete at this time (cf the openafs bran=
ch of efs-core).=A0 If people are interested in seeing OpenEFS support Open=
AFS, they should contact the OpenEFS developers (disclaimer: I&#39;m one of=
 the OpenEFS developers, but right now, the NFS-based version is the priori=
ty, at least for my employer).<br>

--f46d042fd918d970fb04cb0a6d3f--