[OpenAFS] Re: Failure to build OpenAFS 1.6.1a

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 9 Oct 2012 13:41:20 -0400

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:

>> We also probably need to do better about detecting the proper header vs
>> detecting libraries, apparently... (I haven't looked at this in detail,
>> maybe this is better in master or something)
>
> I'm able to build my Kerberos packages with both Heimdal and MIT installed
> on the system on different paths, so I know that the macros work and
> produce the right flags.  However, you do have to be very careful about
> what other flags you pass in and the ordering of flags.

The issues I have seen have all involved having heimdal "contaminated"
into system include or library
paths when MIT is "native" and found first.

> Unfortunately, this is to some extent an unavoidable limitation in the way
> that one specifies paths to a compiler.  There isn't any way to portably
> pass in a -L flag that applies only to a specific -l flag but not to any
> other, so if you have multiple libraries that you're linking with at
> different paths, you can create situations where it's actually impossible
> to specify exactly the libraries you want.

You can have my archive libraries when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

--
Derrick