[OpenAFS] tcpoob timeline

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:03:58 -0500

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:45:05 +0200
Peter van der Reest <peter.van.der.reest@desy.de> wrote:

> In fact, today already one question came up:
> what is the current roadmap priority or even timeline on availability
> of AFS over TCP and AFS on IPv6?

Peter asked this when talking about EAKC elsewhere. With his permission,
I'm reproducing the question here, since I didn't really answer this for
AFS/TCP during the conference, and I thought others might want to know.
(This email is just about tcp, not ipv6.)

My guess/hope, which may turn out to be optimistic, is to have something
in the tree (master) by the end of 2013. Since the bulk of the
delay/work here is standards-related, the timeline on this heavily
depends on how well the 'new' standards procedures work, and on what
items are prioritized by the standards group. That may go worse or
better than I expect; I am clearly assuming a much more rapid pace for
standards work than people have seen so far.

To provide a sense of ordering... rxgk standards work will definitely
precede tcp oob, though rxgk implementation may or may not. After rxgk,
some smaller/simpler standards docs may go through, but tcp oob may be
the next 'bigger' one. But the ordering here is unsure; Mike Meffie
should be clarifying some specifics of the new standards process within
the next week. I expect that around that time is when we'll discuss the
priority of which documents to look at; some people may disagree with my
guessed priorities.

Note that that is my thinking and my guesses for code being in the tree,
not for a stable release. Release scheduling is such a question mark for
me right now I can't even begin to guess for that.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net