[OpenAFS] Proposal: OpenAFS foundation to develop AFS server appliance

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sat, 1 Sep 2012 11:43:03 -0500

I believe the proactive case here would be to create an OpenAFS foundation
with the charter to work with storage hardware vendors to offer and market
storage hardware with the AFS server software pre-installed, in the same
way that NFS and CIFS servers are already embedded in the storage product
hardware offering.

Places like Your-File-System could then offer value-added upgrades to the
base embedded OpenAFS on the storage appliance.

I think we all get so tied up in the technical aspects sometimes we forget
that it is *sales and marketing* that keeps people buying crap like NFS
and CIFS.