[OpenAFS] Proposal: OpenAFS foundation to develop AFS server appliance

Sun, 02 Sep 2012 00:00:52 -0400

--------------enigC593192BB7BED38456231F6F

On 9/1/2012 3:03 PM, Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) wrote:
> In message <50424587.6010006@your-file-system.com>,Jeffrey Altman write=
s:
>> The Elders have engaged in discussions with the major operating system=

>> vendors over the years as well.  Those discussions inevitably broke do=
wn
>> because AFS3 did not satisfy the needs of a First Class file system.
>> (No Ext. Attributes, no alt data streams, no byte range locking, no
>> mandatory locking, directory limitations, etc.)
>=20
> Again, I believe this was just a polite way to say "go away".  While
> these limitations do exist, they generally don't impact users on a=20
> day-to-day basis or there are known workarounds.  Some limitations
> are present with any enterprise file system though.

You are making assumptions that are completely unfounded.  I am not at
liberty to discuss the contents of contract negotiations but discussions
with at least two OS vendors reached that stage.

Jeffrey Altman