[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-announce] Why I Have Stepped Down as OpenAFS Elder

Bill Cattey wdc@MIT.EDU
Sun, 9 Sep 2012 23:17:59 -0400

Jeff,

Even though I'm mostly an outsider to AFS these days, I wanted to drop =
you a quick reply and say thank you!

I am so glad that you've done so much for AFS in so many ways over the =
years.  I think your resignation note was helpful to my understanding of =
your situation and the broader situation with AFS.

I am hopeful that YFSI is successful and achieves the goal of getting =
AFS into the hands of more people.

Good luck!

-Bill

On Sep 7, 2012, at 12:20 PM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Earlier this month I resigned from the OpenAFS Elders.  I want to
> briefly explain the reasons why I felt the need to step down.
>=20
> After the OpenAFS Gatekeepers presented the unfunded OpenAFS Wish List
> at the Spring 2007 HEPiX meeting, the OpenAFS Elders realized that it
> would be impossible for OpenAFS to make headway in the current
> environment.  Lustre would soon be purchased by Sun Microsystems for
> $250 million.  NFSv4 was far behind AFS in capabilities but was backed
> by dozens of companies that were devoting significant resources and a
> IETF working group had been formed to standardize it.  Various =
operating
> system vendors indicated that they would contribute to funding the
> development of missing first class file system functionality such as
> alternate data streams, extended attributes, byte range locking, etc.
> but only if we could clarify the trademark issues with IBM and that =
was
> not forthcoming.  If OpenAFS was going to have a stable future it =
needed
> a technology company that was dependent on its functionality but sold =
> service that was not itself a file system.
>=20
> In October 2007, with the support of the OpenAFS Elders I founded Your
> File System, Inc. (YFSI) to create a services business on top of a =
next
> generation successor to AFS3.  YFSI's long term goal is to supply a =
file
> storage ecosystem that permits individuals and organizations to =
stretch
> their storage across internally managed data centers, external host
> providers such as Rackspace and Cloud IAAS systems such as Azure and
> EC2.  On top of the ecosystem YFSI will sell a secure federated file
> sharing service that will knock the socks off DropBox, Box, and other
> copy-and-sync services.
>=20
> For more than six years I have fulfilled the fiduciary =
responsibilities