[OpenAFS] buildbot and packages

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sat, 15 Sep 2012 18:19:32 -0500

Sometimes I think we get hung up on 'good testing' vs having *something*.

The last time I worked for someone else, it was writing test code for Cray's
supercomputer systems. You don't get much more complex than a machine
with 30,000 cores in which 'acceptable' performance is defined as 'pushing
the system to the point right before it collapses into an unusable heap',
and it's got to run a workload of hundreds of thousands of the world's most
complex and numerically sensitive computational codes.

And I'd hazard a guess that 3/4 of the system problems were with the filesystem
(Lustre most often). I've also heard a pretty good argument that the reason
Cray went bankrupt a couple of times is they over-tested. If you did get a
machine back in the YMP days, it was very well tested, but the price showed
it, and clusters ate their market.

Maybe we don't have money.. But how many users of AFS are there. I'm not talking
companies, I'm talking people.. specifically, bored college students. How many
people have used AFS at a major university, and might help us out doing manual
testing if we give them a framework?

To paraphrase the .. well.. chief cat herder .. of the most widely deployed
operating system ever (Linux),
"With enough QA testers, all bugs are shallow"