[OpenAFS] Re: buildbot and packages

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:16:31 -0700

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:

> That could interfere with versions like 1.6.2.1 that sometimes occur.
> Conceptually I could imagine something like maybe 1.6.2.0.120917, but I
> don't remember what all the various version rules are for deb and rpm.
> And I don't think OS X can handle more than a certain number of version
> segments, or something?

For Debian, the best solution is generally for some snapshot taken on
20120917 of source from the 1.6 branch after 1.6.1 to be versioned as
1.6.1+20120917.  This sorts after 1.6.1 but before 1.6.1.1.

You can use - instead of + provided that you're very careful with how you
use version numbers, but it can cause some confusion since - is also used
to separate the upstream version from the Debian packaging version.