[OpenAFS] buildbot and packages

Simon Wilkinson sxw@your-file-system.com
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:42:19 +0100

On 17 Sep 2012, at 23:18, Andrew Deason wrote:
>=20
> I don't think you can make that say something based on 1.6.1, since =
the
> head of the 1.6.x branch right now is a different branch than 1.6.1. I
> mean, if git-version said something like "this is 1.6.1 plus N =
patches",
> that would be incorrect. Since, the head of 1.6.x is actually =
currently
> "1.6.1pre2 plus N patches" (specifically 163, apparently), which is =
what
> that says.

So, this is more of a problem with the way that we're using git, than a =
problem with tools that produce a version number.

We're not consistent about whether we release from trunk, or release =
from a branch. This means that on some occasions the trunk has the tag, =
and on others the branch. In a traditional git world, we would have =
branched for 1.6.1, committed the changes necessary for 1.6.1 on that =
branch, and then merged that branch back into the trunk. This final =
merge step has the effect of making the 1.6.1 tag visible from both =
branch and trunk, and so would cause both to git describe as expected. =
(In the OpenAFS model, we commit first to master, then cherry pick to =
the 1.6 trunk, then cherry pick to the 1.6.1 branch). One way of fixing =
this immediate problem would be to commit to master, then cherry pick to =
the 1.6.1 version branch, then merge back into trunk.

We should probably talk about how to fix this before we do the 1.6.2 =
release. Oh, and master should probably get tagged with something =
sensible.

Cheers,

Simon.