[OpenAFS] Re: buildbot and packages

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 18 Sep 2012 00:26:17 -0700

Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:

> So are we ever going to have a situation where we have 255 nightly
> builds, and we do *not* release a minor update? (say 1.6.2 to 1.6.3?)

Less than three months to go before that would be true of 1.6.2.

> I would argue for a version scheme something like:

> major.minor.subminor.daily-build-id

> where if we ever hit more than 128 daily builds,

Already has happened since 1.6.1, which was released on March 26th.

windlord:~> date -d "128 days ago"
Sun May 13 00:24:35 PDT 2012

> Don't we have bigger problems if we run out of dev versions than
> figuring out what an end-user is running?

A dearth of release managers, for example.  Among the other things that
dearth is a bigger problem than is the absence of nightly builds.  :)