[OpenAFS] Re: buildbot and packages

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:17:33 -0400

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:12:20 -0500
Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> That could interfere with versions like 1.6.2.1 that sometimes occur.
> Conceptually I could imagine something like maybe 1.6.2.0.120917, but I
> don't remember what all the various version rules are for deb and rpm.
> And I don't think OS X can handle more than a certain number of version
> segments, or something?

i think a version number like 1.6.2.1 is mostly insane.  there arent
enough releases of openafs to just not use 1.6.3. on os x, i believe
you are limited to x.y.z mostly.  from the wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning:

	Apple has a formalised version number structure based around
	the NumVersion struct, which specifies a one- or two-digit
	major version, a one-digit minor version, a one-digit "bug"
	(i.e. revision) version, a stage indicator (drawn from the set
	development/prealpha, alpha, beta and final/release), and a
	one-byte (i.e. having values in the range 0___255) pre-release
	version, which is only used at stages prior to final. In writing
	these version numbers as strings, the convention is to omit any
	parts after the minor version whose value are zero (with "final"
	being considered the zero stage), thus writing 1.0.2b12, 1.0.2
	(rather than 1.0.2f0), and 1.1 (rather than 1.1.0f0).

so this would make using the date as the 'build' version somewhat
difficult on os x.