[OpenAFS] Re: 1.6.1a migration from 1.4: corrupted and offline volumes

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:16:14 -0500

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:37:39 +0200
Jakub Moscicki <jakub.moscicki@cern.ch> wrote:

> I just tried to deploy 1.6.1a on linux, migrating from 1.4 server. I
> compiled from tar.gz sources and copied executables to /usr/afs/bin
>
> This operation has put all my volumes offline with the following
> FileLog entries:
>
> Wed Sep 19 13:54:48 2012 GetBitmap: addled vnode index in volume
> q.afs.st.afs211.fb.1; volume needs salvage

Doesn't CERN use some modified backend code that changes the vnode magic
for files? I thought I heard this was done for rxosd (or it's
predecessor) or something. A modified on-disk format is not going to
work with vanilla OpenAFS, and as far as I know that's exactly the error
you would get doing it.

If I'm way off, then nevermind, but... that's not a "normal" error to
get. Unfortunately we don't print out what the 'bad' magic was, but if
you copy the files in one of the 'special' directories in /vicepfb (just
find one of the directories named 'special') and make them available,
one of us could see what it is.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net