[OpenAFS] Re: Mixing 1.4 and 1.6 fileservers

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:15:17 -0500

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:44:18 +0200
"Joerg.Baus@gmx.net" <joerg.baus@gmx.net> wrote:

> i want to add a second fileserver to my afs-cell - should i expect any
> problems when mixing 1.4 (1.4.11+dfsg-1, debian) and 1.6 (1.6.⁻1~bpo50
> +1, debian) versions of the fileserver

No. You can mix any fileserver versions in a cell, and any client
version can use any fileserver version, etc etc. If the servers are
running database server processes (vlserver, ptserver, etc) then mixing
versions is not supported, but should still work with those versions.

I think that 1.4 version is a little old, so it may have some known
issues (including security issues, assuming they're not fixed in the
debian patches for that), but nothing caused by mixing with a 1.6
fileserver.

> (second needed cause i have to use kernel 3.2 ...)?

A fileserver should not need any particular kernel version or anything.
If you want an AFS client on the same machine, though, then sure, that
makes sense.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net