[OpenAFS] More Re: OpenAFS: pr_SNameToId not responding

Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:55:07 -0400

--------------enig4355BBA4CB1F7B4F4873613B

On 9/25/2012 11:37 AM, John Tang Boyland wrote:
> This is a followup with more information and hope for a solution.
>=20
> I wrote in March about a student who had this error while
> running aklog -d (although ultimately successful)
> 	pr_SNameToId Error server or network not responding

Port 7002 (Protection DB) on the selected server is not responding.

> but also was able to access /afs/openafs.org but not /afs/cs.uwm.edu
> NET VIEW \\AFS gives the correct information:
> cs.uwm.edu    Disk           AFS MountPoint to #cs.uwm.edu:root.cell
> openafs.org   Disk           AFS MountPoint to #openafs.org:root.cell

No volume location db info for cs.uwm.edu?

You can find out what the cache manager thinks the cellservdb info is usi=
ng:

  cmdebug localhost -cellservdb

> I had another student with the syndrome (NIM works fine / openafs.org
> works fine / no cs.uwm.edu access / aklog -d gives the pr_SNameToId err=
or)
> today, and I tried "fs checks" and found that it says that
> 	miller.cs.uwm.edu is not available
> Which is very strange since miller is not an AFS server (file or databa=
se).
> But miller is the machine that "cs.uwm.edu" resolves to!
>=20
> So it seems that the installation lacks a CellServDB and/or isn't capab=
le of
> handling AFSBD and/or we're not producing the right records.

There are no AFS3 SRV records for cs.uwm.edu nor are there the older
AFSDB records.