[OpenAFS] Introduction and quick reference question

Timothy Balcer timothy@telmate.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:41:35 -0700

--bcaec54b54344795da04cab6a480

Hello folks! My name is Timothy Balcer, and I've been a SysAdmin for almost
20 years. (Hi Tim.... ;-) )

I've worked with AFS in the past, but its been awhile and I am bringing up
a prototype. Its working well.. I was VERY happy when it only took me a
couple of days to go from zero to two VMs running the KDC/LDAP server and
the AFS master server (everything server), and pushing files to and from
with multiple clients on multiple OS's. however I do have a few structural
questions:

I can see in the docs the maximum number of files per "directory" (64k, 32k
if the filenames are larger, etc), however I was wondering if someone could
answer, or point me to the answer for a couple of other specs:

1) How many files per volume?
2) Any limits to how many volumes can be mounted on a client under other
volumes? (aka, /afs/foo.com/volume/1,2,3...N i.e. how wide can a directory
be? Also how deep can a volume be (how many levels of directories)?
3) How many directories per directory (excluding volume limits, if not
applicable), and how many directories per volume total?

That sort of thing. Assume I have already thought about the parent FS being
used for the AFS partitions. :-)

I'm planning a fairly rigorous application and I need to know upper limits
on details like these. Where can I find this info? Or did I just miss it
when I RTFM'd?

Best,

--
Timothy Balcer

--bcaec54b54344795da04cab6a480

Hello folks! My name is Timothy Balcer, and I've been a SysAdmin for al=
most 20 years. (Hi Tim.... ;-) )<br><br>I&#39;ve worked with AFS in the pas=
#39;s. however I do have a few structural questions:<br>
uot; (64k, 32k if the filenames are larger, etc), however I was wondering i=
f someone could answer, or point me to the answer for a couple of other spe=
cs:<br>
be mounted on a client under other volumes? (aka, /afs/<a href=3D"http://fo=
o.com/volume/1,2,3...N">foo.com/volume/1,2,3...N</a> i.e. how wide can a di=
rectory be? Also how deep can a volume be (how many levels of directories)?=
3) How many directories per directory (excluding volume limits, if not appl=
 of thing. Assume I have already thought about the parent FS being used for=
 the AFS partitions. :-)<br>
 limits on details like these. Where can I find this info? Or did I just mi=
alcer<br>

--bcaec54b54344795da04cab6a480--