[OpenAFS] Failed to create inode: errno = 22

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 01 Apr 2013 15:05:41 -0700

Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz <jose.calhariz@netvisao.pt> writes:

> I am trying to fill a 1TB volume with lots of small files.  At 40%
> filled I started to see on client " Cannot open: No space left on
> device"

The number of files in a particular directory is capped.  See the
fileserver man page:

       The maximum number of directory entries is 64,000 if all of the entries
       have names that are 15 octets or less in length. A name that is 15
       octets long requires the use of only one block in the directory.
       Additional sequential blocks are required to store entries with names
       that are longer than 15 octets. Each additional block provides an
       additional length of 32 octets for the name of the entry. Note that if
       file names use an encoding like UTF-8, a single character may be
       encoded into multiple octets.