[OpenAFS] Question for OpenAFS

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun@gmail.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:58:00 +0300

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Lars Schimmer
<l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at> wrote:
> On 18.04.2013 08:46, =EA=B0=95=EC=8B=A0=EB=8D=95 wrote:
>> I wonder whether Openafs File Server & DB Server could work on vmware as
>> a virtual machine.
>>
>> If it is possible, We want to migrate our openafs system from physical
>> server to virtual machine using VMWare.
>
> Sure that is possible, some cells do run complete out of VMWare VMs.
> But remind: this setup does cost some performance overhead.

    About this OpenAFS in VM, I tried a small experiment some time ago
and I had some issues...

    Basically there are two approaches to virtualization:

    * each VM gets its own "public" IP address (practically it is just
like other hosts on the same LAN); in this case I have no doubts that
OpenAFS works flawlessly, minus the performance issues;

    * the host has a single IP, and the VM's get a "private" IP
address, that is NAT-ed; in this case I remember I had issues with
properly configuring OpenAFS to handle such a scenario;

    Could someone comment on his success / in-success in the second
NAT-ed scenario? I remember I gave up and just moved the OpenAFS on
the host. (I remember that 2-3 years ago there was some sketchy
documentation on this, but I haven't checked lately...)

    Thanks,
    Ciprian.