[OpenAFS] vos shadow to backup user homes

Ted Creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:16:17 -0700

--047d7b5d4350eb0a8f04e4db3c14

The only problem with MD RAID is the lack of admin software support.
If anyone knows of a good GUI...

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:

> > However the main reason I'm replying is your comment about RAID. IMO,
> > anytime you're configuring a mission-critical system without RAID
> > you're probably asking for future headaches.
>
> My experiences with RAID, especially HW-Raid is "mixed". Last week I
> got an DL360 G4 with some built-in HW-RAID(5) that returned "read
> errors" from the RAID to the OS without failing any drive(s). On an
> email server. Looks to me like a serious bug in the RAID-firmware. I
> even have found high-end RAID (Rio) whose memory did not deploy any
> ECC. One device did make stripes of zeroes into every block that got
> through it. Then there are HW-RAIDs which can detect silent bit-rot
> on your HDs and some that can't.
>
> > All of my database and fileservers currently use hardware raid (3ware
> > or LSI/PERC). But one of my "idle time" projects -- a bit of an inside
> > joke since I have no idle time -- is to play around with ZFS on linux
> > to see if I feel it's ready for prime time yet or not.
>
> I currently trust linux SW RAID (MD) and ZFS more than any HW RAID. So
> almost all our file servers have been migrated from HW-RAID to SW-RAID
> or ZFS.
>
> Plan is to complement that with shadow volumes for some volumes which
> have data that need an way of "instant resore".
>
> Harald.

--047d7b5d4350eb0a8f04e4db3c14

 Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Harald Barth <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=