[OpenAFS] System hangs, OSX 10.6.8, OpenAFS 1.6.5

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Sun, 1 Dec 2013 19:37:29 +0100

* Benjamin Kaduk [2013-11-29 15:45:20 -0500]:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, dorian taylor wrote:
>
> >Hello List,
> >
> >I'm trying to diagnose a persistent problem since I upgraded an old
> >Mac from 10.5 to 10.6 and installed the latest OpenAFS.
>
> The exact number will be much more ueseful than just saying "the
> latest OpenAFS".

The subject line of this thread does contain exact (and hopefully accurate)
numbers.

> >Essentially what happens is that when the Kerberos ticket expires,
> >there's a limited time (seconds to minutes) during which I can renew
> >both the Kerberos ticket and the AFS token. If that time elapses, the
> >system hangs and I have to hard power-cycle the machine.
>
> This seems like a very strange problem, and I don't have any
> concrete ideas off the top of my head.  In terms of trying random
> things to see if they help, you might try explicitly setting a FILE:
> credentials cache instead of using the default API: one.

I haven't seen that kind of behaviour either. My (vague) guess is that some
important part of the system is loaded out of AFS so that bad things happen
when it becomes inaccessible, but on second thought I can't come up with a
scenario that actually fits all the reported details.

One question, though: did the system have an OpenAFS client installed while
running OSX 10.5, and if so, what version was that? (I'm assuming that the
OS upgrade was really an upgrade and not a full reinstall.)

Another clarification: does the system hang only when an attempt is made to
renew the ticket and token, or is expiration of the old credentials a
sufficient trigger by itself?

Oh, one more thing: what's the lifetime of your ticket and token? (I'm
wondering whether that window of a few minutes after the credentials appear
to have expired could be due to the token lifetime having been rounded up
to the next representable value.)