[OpenAFS] Re: How to remove a bogus (127.0.1.1) server entry for readonly?

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:10:27 +0100 (CET)

>> $ more hosts
>> 127.0.0.1	localhost
>> 127.0.1.1	peter.cae.uwm.edu	peter

> I know various Linux distributions do
> this by default, ...

So at least the AFS server installed from the .debs for these distros
really should cope with that fact.

> but that's only because they don't have a way of
> knowing what the real IP is for the system, and they want the hostname
> to be able to resolve. For a "real" server system, you'd want the
> hostname to resolve to the actual public IP you use for it (either put a
> real IP in there, or rely on DNS).

> Otherwise, various tools where you
> specify the name 'peter' will get resolved to 127/8, and that's not good
> if we're storing that in a distributed database like for AFS.

And not good at all if _all_ your servers think they are 127.0.1.1 and
have that volume...

If this should be catched by the "avoid 127/16 code path" then there
must be a bug somewhere. My first guess would be host vs network byte
order before even looking at the code.

I'll see if I can find a test server that I can break...

Harald.