[OpenAFS] Question about how to use vos shadow

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 15:51:09 +0100 (CET)

Am am experimenting with vos shadow, and

# vos shadow H.haba.test.alanine -fromserver beef.stacken.kth.se -frompartition c -toserver bananshake.stacken.kth.se -topartition a -local -verbose

works as expected

# vos listvol bananshake
Total number of volumes on server bananshake partition /vicepa: 1
H.haba.test.alanine               536901865 RO       1544 K On-line

(and nothing in the VLDB about it). However, when I try do make shadow
readonly vols or shadow vols which are readonly, I'm not as successful:

# vos shadow H.haba.test.alanine -fromserver beef.stacken.kth.se -frompartition c -toserver bananshake.stacken.kth.se -topartition a -toname H.haba.test.alanine.readonly -readonly -local -verbose
vos: the name of the root volume H.haba.test.alanine.readonly exceeds the size limit of 22

(I would like to that this would result in the same result as if I
would do a addsite, release, remsite which would leave a "stranded"
unknown readonly copy with the .readonly suffix on the added server)

Then am I right, that -toname in this kind of usage has to be used
together with -toid because vos shadow can not make up an ID in
the VLDB for something that then should not exist in the VLDB?

# vos shadow H.haba.test.alanine -fromserver beef.stacken.kth.se -frompartition c -toserver bananshake.stacken.kth.se -topartition a -toname X.haba.test.alanine -readonly -local -verbose
VLDB: no such entry

Harald.